WordPress.org 2.6.1

Quick Note: WordPress 2.6.1 is out.  If you are running an older version, especially if you haven’t even

WordPress.org

WordPress.org

gone to 2.6.0 yet, you should upgrade – you’re missing out on new functionality and you may be at risk of having your site taken over.

Things to remember when upgrading: deactivate your plugins first, not all plugins work with all versions and you may need to find alternates.  Check that your themes will support the latest versions and that any custom code you may have inserted (you did comment the code, didn’t you?) won’t produce conflicts.

Finally, read the documentation for upgrading.  If you are new to WordPress.org and need to know how to install it, there is documentation for that, too.  If you get stuck, the WordPress.org forums are a source of knowledge and help – search first and then ask your question in the right sub-forum.

This website uses IntenseDebate comments, but they are not currently loaded because either your browser doesn't support JavaScript, or they didn't load fast enough.

1. I’m using a special theme- Semiologic Pro- so I have to wait to update from 2.5 until it’s ready as well. I hear they’re already talking about 2.7.

Louise@Easiest Finger Appetizers’s last blog post..Paula Dean’s Cajun Seafood Balls Appetizer Recipe

2. RayNo Gravatar says:

It’s always a danger using very customised themes :)

3. I am afraid to upgrade!

Larry @ Green Lighting’s last blog post..Light Pollution: The View from Above

4. RayNo Gravatar says:

If you use the .com version, you already have upgraded. The .org can be problematic, but take a backup and look to upgrade things if needs be.

5. MrCoreyNo Gravatar says:

I’m afraid to downgrade!!!

6. hariNo Gravatar says:

How far has Wordpress come from 2.0.x series? What new features are worth writing about in 2.6?

hari’s last blog post..Prominent Pro-Wrestling group trademarks "Terrorist"

7. RayNo Gravatar says:

Most of it is in the background – more admin panel options, better warnings about updated plugins, more security

Ray’s last blog post..WordPress.org 2.6.1

8. drewNo Gravatar says:

Don’t you mean “updated plugins and more security that leads to more security vulnerabilities”.. :)

9. RayNo Gravatar says:

you use a rival application mate, that means your comments score less – as any ful kno, wordpress is both security hole free and gold plated :)

10. drewNo Gravatar says:

Rival application? I would imagine something like b2evolution is more of a rival to Wordpress. I don’t think Textpattern has any rivals, plus it’s considered more of a CMS rather than Blogware. :)

11. RayNo Gravatar says:

la la la – I can’t hear you :)

12. MrCoreyNo Gravatar says:

TP made me think too hard, which was causing too much smoke in the house, so I went back to WP. Perhaps I will dabble elsewhere again some day.

13. MrCoreyNo Gravatar says:

I wonder if there will ever be a standalone Blogger…

14. hariNo Gravatar says:

I don’t know about TextPattern. The original reason I didn’t use it was because of its lack of support for more than two categories per post, but nowadays I stick to a single category per post for easier maintenance and portability.

So maybe I should give TP another look.

I’ve always been favour of less bloat when it comes to blogging platforms. TP is definitely on the leaner side. WordPress is fast trying to become the comprehensive one-stop shop for blogging which might suit some people, but not me. ;)

hari’s last blog post..Prominent Pro-Wrestling group trademarks "Terrorist"

15. drewNo Gravatar says:

And as I recall, TP has a plug-in available so you can make more than two categories for a post. I stick with two myself, makes things easier to manage. Most of my categories are top level anyways, I don’t need to get too detailed.

16. hariNo Gravatar says:

Drew, yes, categories can quickly become a spaghetti like mess if you’re not careful.

I don’t know how many of you noticed that I had recently revamped the categorization on my blog and included far fewer categories than before.

My categories (carried over from my WP blog) were getting to monstrous proportions and I did some serious pruning work to make them manageable.

hari’s last blog post..Prominent Pro-Wrestling group trademarks "Terrorist"

17. I’m sure they fixed a lot of bugs from the initial version, so maybe I will get this one.

18. JaneNo Gravatar says:

This is a must have for any blogger. Wordpress rocks!

19. RingtonesNo Gravatar says:

I’m gonna upgrade my old one with this. Wordpress really rocks!

20. Mike@DirecTVNo Gravatar says:

Well I’m still not sold on the latest WP version. I hate having to re-learn where everything is, just the layout bothers me more than it should for a sane person…Anyway, I hate to rant, but can’t they just release a new version once a year so I dont have to spend a whole weekend fixing everything up the way I like it!

21. RingtonesNo Gravatar says:

Mike, I agree with you. But anyway just upgraded to a new version. Must say this is incredible! I would recommend to spend some time and install a new version.

22. well i am waiting 2.7. i use movable type now, its easily redesign than wp.

23. I upgraded a few of my sites – it went very smoothly :) I still have a couple that are still reminding me to upgrade, but they’ll get there eventually :) I really like the new preview theme feature, that’s a big improvement!

24. RingtonesNo Gravatar says:

Chelle, I totaly agree with you. This feature is really awesome. Must say that upgrading own blog is pleasant thing ;)

25. Chelle,how long does it take to upgrade?I was thinking to upgrade my blog site as well.

26. There exists an automatic WP upgrading plugin. It is very handy and works (almost) flawless. It even switches off all you plugins and after the upgrade re-enables them. Also, during the upgrade, you get the possibility to back-up your database, which is highly recommended.

Olivier @ brainwave meditation’s last blog post..5 Tips to get the most out of your brainwave meditation session.

27. CarlosNo Gravatar says:

I hope they change category system in the new versions of WordPress.

28. RayNo Gravatar says:

What don’t you like about the current way it works?

29. web tasar?m?No Gravatar says:

hmmm,i use movable type now :S