Those of you who can see me on Facebook will be aware that I changed my status some time ago to “engaged”. I have gone from saying “no way, not ever” to “let’s set a date”. I am nothing, if not inconsistent. So yeah, I’m getting married.
Because we are both practical people (and a variety of other reasons) this is going to be an extremely quick and simple wedding. We have booked a local registrar’s office for next May, there will be space for us and 4 guests and the whole thing takes minutes apparently. For anyone reading this and looking to get married and not wanting to go through the hassle of the full ceremony and wondering who will sit where can do what I did.
It really is very simple and pretty damn low cost. In fact, I don’t think there is a cheaper option which still ends up with you being legally married. Obviously, this comes with a massive caveat: make sure your intended is happy doing this. Proudly saying you have organised a quick, simple and cheap wedding when s/he would like the full monty does not mean that you will be off to a good start…. Anyway, do this:
- Find your nearest registrar’s office and phone them up
- Ask them for the availability on 2 or more preferred dates
- Explain that you just want the quick legal ceremony (this is the bare basics, you will be married but won’t have the expected floweriness. Or flowers.)
- Answer simple questions – who are you, are you British, are you free to marry, that sort of thing.
- Pay £43.50 over the phone by debit or credit card (price correct today, it is subject to change though)
- Put the phone down and then tell the very small number of people and your witnesses where and when
Well, maybe not the last one, but you then have lots of money (hopefully) to have an awesome honeymoon happy in the knowledge that saying that you are on your honeymoon means people may give you free stuff!!
Speaking of honeymoons, where to go?? The Netherlands, Amsterdam to be specific, is romantic. If you like far flung and exotic places, travel to China. You could even try Lake Powell houseboat rentals if you want something different! And a little bird tells me that Olongapo is very pleasant…..
We’re actually spending about 3 weeks in Florida because it’s a fantastic tourist spot and we like lots of sunshine and air conditioned hotels….
So yeah, for the followers of Ray news, I will be totally off the market in about 7 months and then I’ll have just 12 months until my first wedding anniversary. Scary stuff and I suspect this means that I’m that bit closer to becoming an adult.
So in summary: engaged now, married next year, cheap and cheerful ‘cos that’s all we need, awesome long honeymoon/holiday.